Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Gold Star Dinner






What's for Dinner? That ageless question. Often it's leftovers and sometimes it's better the second night. Patrick made some Borscht and we agreed it was missing something. I didn't want to go to the store so I was forced to use what was in the house. We had some corn, which I am a junky. We also had some tomatoes from Kate's, some quail eggs from her friend, and some fresh cream from our cow share.

I added some cream to the borscht and used my trusty stick blender making it all nice and frothy. I took the corn off the cob and pan fried it, it's too hot to roast them in the oven. I mixed the warm corn into the cold soup and it was ready to serve at any time. Look how fun, the fuchsia soup and yellow kernels. Beautiful and delicious and even better when eaten with cornishons.

After some difficulty, I removed four ramekins from their box and added some lovely farm fresh butter from the cow share. It has the richest yellow color and all natural. I nuked the ramekins to melt and coat with butter. I sliced and salted the tomatoes and placed one slice in the bottom of the ramekin. Then I cracked three quail eggs into each ramekin and added one slice of tomato then topped it off with cream. Baked them off for a few and added some panko and baked it again to toast. These were delicious, tender eggs very well cooked in my book. The tomato was nice but molten hot and my mouth was a tad impatient. Patrick has a mouth of steel and always finishes eating well before me.

It was a dinner promptly served and over by 7. Quick, easy, fresh, and delicious. I felt very proud of myself and inspired by my ingredients. Have I been watching too much Mad Men turning me into Betty homemaker?

No comments:

Post a Comment