Thursday, September 10, 2009

Explanation of Diet

Why am I giving up wheat, dairy, and saturated fat? I have M.S. which is a neurological autoimmune disease. Dairy is often linked to autoimmune disease and more specifically, cow's milk. There is not much information on this matter as many other factors could contribute but I am willing to try almost anything. It is always a good idea to reduce your saturated fat. Saturated fat can also slow down your brain functions. Wheat is inflammatory and can aggravate arthritis. I can feel the difference in my joints when I eat wheat.

I have a wonderful holistic health consular http://alexandradifilippo.com. She has helped me get healthy and has recommended these dietary changes. She could also explain why I should do these things better that I can. Since I started working with Alex, I have more energy, feel better, and have lost 25 pounds. Alex is supportive and motivating. She tells me to not ostricize myself because of my diet. She tells me to be good 90% of the time and be bad 10% of the time.

I am not a normal person. I have a compromised immune system, antibodies associated with Lupus, and an bright spots in my brain. I started to get sick three years ago and it took two and a half years to get a diagnosis. Then I was put on Copaxone, a once daily injection drug for better living. For the first time, I have a chance to get pregnant as Copaxone is well tolerated during pregnancy. I just want to do all I can to prepare my body for pregnancy. And I just want to be as healthy as I can be.

I have taken this a step further and removed many harmful additives from my beauty products. Your skin is your largest organ and what you put on your skin goes into your body. I have natural mascara, lipstick, and nail polish from Honeybee Garden and I like these products. I use Kiss My Face Potent & Pure face wash and moisturizer, which I love. I have shampoo, conditioner, moisturizer, and body wash from Hugo Naturals but I don't like the geranium scent. I was so busy reading the back of the label that I didn't even notice it was for color treated hair. The only difference is that I have to wash my hair more frequently. I haven't found a decent deodorant but I kind of like my subtle stink.

The following is a list of additives to avoid in beauty products. This information came from Gorgeously Green.

* indicates the worst of the worst.

Acrylates
Alcohol
Aluminum*
Benzalkonium chloride
Benzyl alcohol
Carbomer 934, 940, 941, TGIC
Cationic surfractants
Cetalkonium chloride
Cetrimonium chloride
Coal tar*
Cocamide DEA
Cocamide MEA
Cyclomethicone
Diazolidinyl urea
Diethanolamine DEA
Dimethicone
Dimethicone copolyol
Formaldehyde producing hydantoin
Fragrance*
Hydroquinone*
Isopropyl SD-40
Lauramide DEA
Lauryl dimonium hydrolyzed collagen
Lead*
Liquid paraffin
Mercury*
Methacrylates
Midazolidinyl
Mineral Oil
Parabens
Petroleum
Phenonip
Phthalates
Polyethylene Glycol PEG
P-Phenylene Diamine*
Quaternary Ammonium Compounds Quats
Silicone derived emollients
Sodium lauryl sulfates SLS
Stearalkonium chloride
Talc
Tocopherol Acetate
Triclosan*
Triethanolamine TEA
Urea

No comments:

Post a Comment